LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Friday 30 July 2010

Butterfly & roses thankyou card.

Hi again friends!!

Here's a card that honestly--I nearly gave up on about 3 times...thank goodness I didn't though! I'm in love with the bright yellow and the über pretty American Crafts roses ribbon that I spotted on several of Sarah's cards. (I'm in love!)

I didn't have a plan in mind at the beginning of making this card but it turned out COMPLETELY differently to how in envisioned it after I first started. It was going to be paler, more neutral with a 'biology report'-type feel.
The Hero Arts ledger stamp in the background just makes me want to measure things and write them down along with scientific apparatus and such!! (Paper and stamps do strange things to my brain!!)



and a side shot so you can see the dimension:


HOW I DID IT:
I inked a piece of white cardstock with Antique Linen distress ink and using the same colour, stamped the Ledger cling stamp. Next I stamped the butterfly image all over the "ledger paper" also using Antique Linen and clear heat-embossed it, then distressed the page edge.
Next, I stamped the larger butterfly onto plain white cardstock using black stayzon ink and coloured it with PTI Pure Poppy & Plum Pudding inks (using daubers). It was lovely but a bit pale in the centre (the Plum Pudding) so I went in with copics and added some colours.
Next I used a tiny bit of Glossy accents on the butterfly's wings (to make the 'veins' stand out more, which in turn makes the colour more vibrant).

{Hint: the glossiness of the Glossy Accents is repeated again in the use of the acetate--this made the card really 'come to life'...little 'matching elements' like this can really up the WOW factor, its also more pleasing to the eye.}

Using the dauber from the butterfly (without reinking them as I wanted just a hint of colour), I brushed the Pure Poppy over the wings of the background butterflies to tie in the pink from the front area of the card. It looks very pretty in real life.

I knew I wanted the butterfly to sit on the rose ribbon, as if it were in a garden, so it was all just a matter of placement. I 'accidently' (read: on purpose but then hated it) coloured the body of the butterfly in black but it looked horrible so I added the rhinestones and I love the effect. I just laid 2 strips of thin double sided tape directly below the rose ribbon, adhered the cardstock that I'd edge punched & inked with Pure Poppy PTI ink and repeated the same (double-sided tape on top of this cardstock) to adhere down the yellow ribbon, with a ripple effect on one side.

I cut the 'sentiment frame' from a tiny piece of yellow bazzil cardstock using Nestabilities Labels 4 and set it on dimensional tape.
I decided to use acetate for the sentiment, so after stamping it with white versamagic ink, I adhered little buttons strategically around the sentiment so I'd be able to adhere the acetate to the yellow bazzil cardstock (the nestabilities die cut shape), which I did using glue dots directly behind the buttons.

Lastly I added some bling and attached the whole thing to a piece of dark brown bazzil cardstock to make the card body.

The stats--there are a LOT of components:

Ribbons~ American Crafts rose; small yellow ribbon (pleated)- from my stash (un-labeled)
Copics(on butterfly): V04, V12, V06,RV1,RV11.
Stamps~ (all Hero Arts) Essential messages, Butterfly cling, Ledger cling
Clear embossing powder (butterflies on ledger paper)
Inks~Papertrey Ink Plum Pudding & Pure Poppy (main butterfly & light colouring on background butterflies); Tim Holtz Antique Linen & Walnut stain distress inks; Cloud White Versa Magic (sentiment), Black stayz on (butterfly)
Ranger Glossy Accents (main butterfly)
Buttons--my stash (read:un-labelled :)) tied with pink embroidery thread.
Zots, Terrifically tacky red tape.
Martha Stewart Moroccan edger punch.
Rhinestones: Kaisercraft
Overhead Projector acetate.
Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 4


PHEW!!

anyhoo--hope you like it as much as I do!! I've got a screaming baby I have to get back to.

Take care and thanks so much for looking! Please feel free to leave a comment--I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Virginia L. said...

Stunning card, Linda!! Love your butterfly sitting on the ribbons...just beautiful!